Homemade BBQ Sauce
Nothing reminds me of summer more than the sound of meat on the grill. And so, in honor of summer and the grilling season, let’s make a tangy homemade barbecue sauce! This recipe is from the Food Network, and is great for a basic barbecue sauce.
- 2 cups of Ketchup
- 1 cup of Water
- ½ a cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 5 tablespoons of White Sugar
- 5 tablespoons of Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon of Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ a tablespoon of Ground Black Pepper
- ½ a tablespoon of Onion Powder
- ½ a tablespoon of Ground Mustard
- Optional: Hot Sauce
To begin, combine ketchup, water, and apple cider vinegar in a medium saucepan. Add in the sugars, and then drizzle in your lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce.
Now you’re ready for your spices. Stir in the freshly ground black pepper, onion powder, and ground mustard before turning up the heat and bringing to a boil. When boiled, reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook for an hour and fifteen minutes, stirring frequently.
If you like your barbecue sauce spicy, get creative! Try several dashes of hot sauce, depending on how hot you want it, or for a subtle zing, try adding in some ground ginger.